Better Journeys supports people aged 50+ to make journeys easier. It is part of Age Better in Sheffield and aims to reduce social isolation through building confidence in using public transport, and making journeys on bicycle and foot.
They provide the following:
- Walking Buddies Scheme: Volunteers are paired with participants who want some support getting out and about in their local community
- Independent Travel Training: A series of one to one sessions to plan and make a specific journey to build confidence. This includes accompaniment on a journey you might struggle with up to 4 times.
- Travel Information Hubs: Better Journey’s route information. Any changes to transport services are available in Better Journey’s Travel Information Hubs situated in community centers and libraries in Firth Park.
- Concessionary passes: Support applying for concessionary passes.
- Volunteering: Opportunities to volunteer as a Bus Buddy, travelling with people and helping them gain confidence to travel independently.
- Cycling Without Age Partnership – A Better Journeys staff member will take you out on an e-trike where you can feel the wind through your hair without having to pedal. Participants will be strapped into a bench-like seat on the front of the trike.
You can download the flyer on Independent Travel Training for more details of the service. Alternatively, get in touch with the Better Journeys team.