Action (formerly Action Housing) is a charity providing services to vulnerable people in South Yorkshire and Derbyshire. They offer a range of support services around homelessness, ex-offenders, mental health, domestic abuse and young people, including accommodation and floating support.
In Sheffield they currently provide the following domestic abuse related services:
- Action Domestic Abuse Service – This is a city wide outreach project delivered by Action, working with men and women who are: experiencing domestic abuse; or when they are still in an abusive relationship; or attempting to leave; or have already left. They provide ongoing emotional support; practical support around housing, benefits, legal services and schools; safety planning; and help with children. T: 0114 270 6999
- Domestic Abuse Helpline – Action provide this on behalf of Sheffield Domestic Abuse Coordination Team (DACT); T: 0808 808 2241; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you call the Helpline they can listen to you, help you make sense of your situation and put you in touch with the right service. Or you can email them and let them know how and when it’s safe to get in touch with you. The Helpline is open 8am to 8pm Mon – Fri and 9am – 5pm Sat and Sun.
- They run a self-help group work programme called Power to Change. This is for women coming out of abusive relationships which focuses on changing patterns of learned behaviour. It can also be useful for women still in abusive relationships.
- Action provides a range of free courses on domestic abuse, specifically for people working in Sheffield.
- Independent Domestic Violence Advocates Service (IDVAS) – Advocates provide impartial advice and support to men and women who are a high-risk victim of domestic violence to increase safety and reduce risk. They can support you to work with services including the police and ensure your views are represented.
Action’s Domestic Abuse Services are provided through Sheffield Domestic Abuse Co-ordination Team where you can also access a full directory of Sheffield domestic abuse services.
In addition to domestic abuse services in Sheffield, Action also help provide TASC (Target & Action for Safer Communities). This service is a consortium run by Target and Action providing floating support and/or accommodation to people over 18 who have a history of offending. You can self-refer, refer someone or make an enquiry T: 0114 2496575.