‘Getting active’ isn’t about starting a bootcamp. Everyone has different abilities and circumstances and it is about making small, lasting changes in your lifestyle to incorporate being more active.
This will help you to keep lower rates of anxiety and depression, and boost your mood and wellbeing.
Simple adjustments could be:
- Walk up the stairs, instead of taking the lift.
- Do something active in your lunch break
- Learn some suitable stretches – keeping as full a range of movement as possible helps maintain independence
- Get off the bus one stop earlier or later than usual and walk the final part of your journey to work/home
- Some of the healthiest activities of all are very gentle – yoga, tai-chi, pilates
- Have a kick-about in a local park
- Do basic exercises from your chair
- Instead of calling/emailing, stretch your legs and walk to someone’s desk instead
- Do the housework and gardening