Centre for Mindful Life Enhancement is a not-for-profit social enterprise run by volunteers. Their aim is to introduce people to the principles and practices of mindful life enhancement and mindfulness involving meditation, mindful movement and informal practices.
They base their work on a six or eight week free mindfulness programme entitled Mindfulness Based Life Enhancement developed by Dr John Darwin. The programme focuses on mindfulness, positive psychology and topics such as loving kindness and compassion. Upcoming programmes are detailed on their website.
They have developed the core mindfulness knowledge for application in different contexts, for example:
- introducing mindfulness walks into the Peak District National Park guided walk programme
- running 3 hour Street Wisdom mindful walking events
- working with the Centre for Sport and Exercise Science at Sheffield Hallam to develop a programme entitled MindfullyStrong which combines weight training, aerobic exercise and mindfulness
- mindful ageing, setting up a group for the University of the Third Age
- running tailor made programmes for other organisations
- developing a programme on Mindful Self Compassion
They’ve trained over 500 people and have over 300 members of the Sheffield Mindfulness Community Facebook group. They’ve evaluated several of their programmes and found that mindfulness and flourishing improve, and stress and anxiety is lower.
We have a team who all work as volunteers although they do charge a fee for work in organisations which helps cover their operating costs.