Community Support Workers are based in GP surgeries and can give you support and advice on almost anything non-medical, as long as you are not already receiving social care.
Community Support Workers can help with:
- finding out about and supporting you to join local social activities
- sourcing help in and around the home
- temporary help if someone is unwell
- finding support for carers
- planning for times of bad weather
- advice on transport options
- information on housing, health and social care
- encouragement to live an active life
- support to check benefit entitlements
If you’re not sure about eligibility then they encourage you to make a referral anyway and they will see if there is anything they can do. If they can’t help then they’ll make sure that they try and find the person who can.
You can refer yourself or you can refer someone you know, but you must have their permission. If you are referring someone else, please also give your own contact details. GPs and other professionals can also make referrals.
Telephone their Central Referral Hub on 0114 205 7120.
Covid update 17/01/22: Most services continue under covid-safe conditions but may be experiencing changes to their service delivery. Contact Community Support Workers directly for the latest information.